Sunday, November 1, 2009

Perserverance

I'm beginning to think that reading Eliot is a an act in perseverance and the more I read the poetry, the more I "get" it. "The Hollow Man" was such an eye opening experience for me this week. I connected with the piece and I believe that is what is supposed to happen with poetry--at least that is what I tell my students.

With the reading, I'm not sure if I got what Eliot was wanting me to get, but I connected with it. I mentioned in my post that the hollow men reminded me of those who have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and wander our world trying to find meaning. For me, in those lines, I read what my brother had been trying to say to me. I understood a little more and though I still don't know how to make it better--I'm glad I have a better understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment